Thursday, September 8, 2011

"obsolete, obsolete!"

Me: (singing) K is for K-----, how are you today?
K: (with unimaginable joy as she throws her hands in the air) I'm in school!!!!


It was a little rough today but I purposely pushed them just to see what they could handle so I'm not too surprised.  Finding out back stories about some of my kids which is helpful/occasionally sad.  I'd like to write about it but I need some time to think about whether or not it's appropriate.  I'm not disclosing names or where I work obviously 
(or pictures of faces even though I technically have permission), but something still seems off to me.  But then I'd like really like your advice, so I don't know.  Hmmm.  Things to ponder.


What worked today: the kids


I would love to take credit for this idea but it was really all my students.  We were working with the light table (which PS is just the coolest) and playing with some materials I had left out for them- colored gels, translucent items, etc. when one of my guys walked up with a box of shells and other sea treasures.  Eventually he found some shells that 'glowed' when placed on the table and got very excited about finding more to show everyone.  This unexpected project was great for sorting (as he separated ones that lit up from ones that didn't) and critical thinking (he very quickly figured out what sorts of shells would lend themselves to a light display and which ones wouldn't).  It was a fun, rewarding project that he was clearly enthusiastic about- and it was all his own idea.  They so don't need me.  If you have any ideas as to how to take this a step further, I'm open.  More items for the light table?  Colored jewel cases for cds?  Wish I could find some sea glass.  Hmm.



What didn't work: afternoon transitions
I need to figure out something that works for the time immediately before school gets out at 3.  Because they are wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild and I am outnumbered.  And scared.  I think I can take them on individually but if they all ganged up for a hostile takeover I wouldn't stand a chance.  So tiny, so powerful in hordes...  

All right, that's enough of that.  K is having an existential crisis about where he should put his new keyboard in the house and my presence is required.





Scrappy Teacher looks at this worm and says, "oh, fucking gross, children."  But internally.  Where they can't hear it.


1 comment:

  1. Try basic color theory. It seems like it would work well with a light table.

    ReplyDelete