Tuesday, September 6, 2011

the new kid

It's Tuesday, September 6th, the night before a new school year- and I'm freaking out. Again.

I've been teaching for 3 years now and without fail on the eve of the First Day of School I get a knot in my stomach as I think, "Oh god, this is it. The year they figure out that I'm a fraud and have no business molding young minds. The year I discover that any previous successes I've had have been due to the unusually bright minds of my students and not my influence at all." Does anyone else get that feeling before a big day at their job?? Just me? Ok.

A few things before we start:
I'm Julia. I live in New Jersey (I don't have a reality show) with my dad, two cats and my boyfriend in an old, weird, falling-apart-at-the-seems house I inherited with my brother. Aforementioned brother is my best friend and a Navy SEAL who sings show tunes when he's not out saving the world (and sometimes when he is, I'm sure). I'm in my twenties. I'm bossy as heck. I'm a teacher- this year, preschool/kindergarten inclusion. I love what I do more than anything in the world.

I started this for several reasons, some more noble than others:
1. I wanted to share ideas with my fellow teachers- what's worked for me, what hasn't, etc.
2. I wanted to create a better chronicle of the school year for my future reference.
3. I wanted a place to bitch about the rest of my life as it gradually falls apart around me during the school year.

So there you go. That's an okay introduction, I think. Tomorrow I'll post about the dreaded FIRST DAY and we'll check out the crew I'll be spending the next 9 months with. And if I throw up from nerves before then, I'll spare you the details. That is the Julia promise to you, reader.


Yours in nausea,
Julia




Scrappy Teacher repeats her mantra for the day: if you can hold a rooster, you can hold the attention of children.

1 comment:

  1. Seeing as David Tennant could teach in the episode School Reunion, you should have a walk in the park without Krillitanes to fight off

    ReplyDelete